Monday, June 15, 2009

Baby

I'm an aunt.

I have a nephew.

I surprised myself with how little I cried when he was born. I thought I'd be a waterworks, for sure. It's only today, Baby's third day of life, that I find myself overwhelmed with love for this little baby and I'm just so grateful that he's here and that he's a part of our family.

I didn't not feel these things before, but it all just seemed so unreal...so fictitious...and now, after spending time alone with Andrew and Laurina and Baby last night and watching Andrew talk to him and take his shirt off in an effort to wake him up enough to eat and looking at his tiny, vulnerable body and not just an adorable little face peeking out from a blanket, I realized how much I love him and how much I want to protect him and how he's the beginning of the next generation and how he is me, 32 years ago.

I don't know how else to put it so I'll just say it again: I'm overwhelmed with love for this little baby and I'm so grateful that he's ours.

5 comments:

regina t said...

congrats, auntie! You have perfectly described the first days of being an aunt! I too was surprised that I didn't melt into tears. Thanks for putting what I felt into words.

tracey colla said...

wonderful! congratulations. what an absolute beauty.

lucky baby to have you for an aunt.

xxo

Mama Bree said...

he is super cute :) congrats on becoming an aunt! he will be your favorite one to turn to for everything of course. :) congrats to Andrew and Laurina too!!! yay for babies!!!

Unknown said...

I remember being overwhelmed by the perfection of you - and how you were the answer to all the imperfection in the universe that was becoming so clear to me as I approached adolescence. Nice to hear you feel what you so inspired. Thanks for continuing to be perfect and for ushering in the next generation of favorites!

Sarah said...

What a perfect little man.
Congratulations!