Thursday, August 28, 2008

Picture Post with BONUS bridesmaid dress whining.

I'm one of those asshole iPhone users. I'm also one of those asshole iPhone users who is experiencing technical difficulties. I have an older iPhone though so my issues are different and special and I'm not holding my breath that they'll be fixed anytime soon so my previous feeble attempts at moblogging are nixed until I can stop the same picture from posting SEVENTY FIVE TIMES. Or, three times, but still...nobody wants to see pretty pictures of me getting my hairs did AT ALL, much less multiple times.

But there are still pictures I want to share with you, Internet! So you know what this means, right? It means we're going old-skool: Picture posts with unrelated pictures. Variety is the spice of life.

Off we go!

I had dinner with my east coast gbf and his bf last week. He was like "How come whenever I look at your Flickr pictures, there are always pictures of food?" I'm not really sure why I like taking pictures of stuff I make, but I think it's similar to the ol' "If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody around to hear it, does it make a sound?" thing. Like, if I'm the only one who gets to see how delicious my dinner looks, is it still delicious? I don't know. Roll with me here.

So anyway, here's how pretty one of my dinners from last week looked:



It was coconut curry chicken and it was daaaaaamn good, but the sweet smell of the sauce stuck around for four or five days and no amount of candle lighting or window opening could get rid of it and OMG I WANTED TO DIE. So no more coconut curry chicken for me, but thanks for the recipe, Rachael Ray.

Soooo, if you happen to be following me on Twitter, you know that yesterday's bridesmaid dress fitting made me cry. The dress itself is perfectly fine, but it still depresses the hell out of me because of the arm situation. YES, I made my bed and now I have to lay in it, but I can't even begin to tell you how torturous this whole thing is for me.

And BLAH BLAH BLAH STFU to anyone who says "wear a wrap" or "I'm sure your arms aren't THAT bad" because I swear to God I don't want to hear it. #1, YOU'RE WRONG and #2, even if you were right (which you're not), it wouldn't matter because my pride is stronger than well-intentioned people trying to make me feel better about it.

So anyway. Back to the crying. I had to have my dress made so Sarah bought the fabric and the pattern and I took it to a local dressmaker and got measured and was told to come back six weeks later.

I was supposed to go back last week but the DREAD was sooooooooo overwhelming that I put it off and put it off and put it off and finally forced myself to go in for a fitting yesterday. It was seventy different kinds of humiliation (like the lady having to lift my arm fat up to get a pin under there) but I was able to maintain my composure most of the way through the fitting. I didn't lose it until she started telling me that she wanted to bring up the waistline into more of an empire waist because it looked better. Yeah, I agree, but this dress is not my choice. I have to have the same dress as everyone else and that means I have to have the waist riiiight about the same level as my spare tire. She points to the picture and in her broken English tells me that it won't look good because the people in the picture don't have "this" and she pokes my fat.

For reals. Seamstresses aren't a breed to hold back on the criticism and this wasn't the first time a seamstress has told me that a bridesmaid dress would look better on me if I lost a few pounds, but maaaaaaaan, I wasn't expecting the poke.

But she's totally right. I knew full well that the waistline in the picture would look horrible on me, so we split the difference and hopefully the sash that Sarah is making will disguise the fact that my dress is slightly more empire-ish than everyone else's.

So blah, blah, blah: My arms and the dress TORTURE MY SOUL.

But here's the bright spot in my ensemble:



I picked my shoes up from being dyed and I kinda love them. I don't think Sarah is all that hot for them, but the other day we were looking for earrings for her to wear for the wedding and we established that we have the exact OPPOSITE taste in accessories. She's into tasteful and I'm into PIZZAZ!

So, at least my shoes make me happy, which is a big deal since I was initially disappointed that I couldn't wear gold ones.

Speaking of Sarah, picture #3 is from Monday when I took Sarah and her friend Hillary on a tour of SF:



Hillary is visiting from Iowa and really, it couldn't have been a more beautiful day.

Sarah wanted to check out the Japanese Tea Garden at Golden Gate Park so we did:



I don't get what the big whoop is about that place, but neither did Sarah, so we crossed it off the list of things to do with tourists from Iowa.

Hillary was the third Iowan I've shown around town and so far they all love Alamo Square:



And there you have it: A light picture post, but with lots of words.

To summarize: Curry stinks, I like my new red shoes and San Francisco is beautiful.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I heart those shoes so very much!