Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Over the Top

In the past 90 minutes I've seen three separate links to a blog called Cake Wrecks. How did the whole world know about this site before me? Not that I'm a trendsetter or anything, but I like cake and I like stupid, so the fact that the entire internet got there before I did is an indicator that I need to take my head out of the sand.

So anyway, Cake Wrecks. I love all the creepy baby butts and the slutty pregnant woman cakes and the quotation mark disasters, but here's the one that inspired me to share:



Number one, it's the most boring cake in the universe and whoever decorated it probably has the pizazz of a stale marshmallow. Number two, it's actually very reminiscent of a cake my dad ordered four score and seventy-nine years ago. Or, more specifically, back when I was a kid. The olden days.

My dad, a former Marine (except once a Marine, always a Marine and all...SEMPER FI!), likes to celebrate the Marine Corps birthday with his Marine buddies and this particular year he went down to the local bakery and ordered a birthday cake with the Marine Corps emblem (which he also had tattooed on one of his teeth) and Happy Birthday written over the top. When he went to pick it up he balked because it wasn't quite what he expected.

What was wrong with it?

It actually said "Happy Birthday Over the Top."

I don't know how old I was at the time -- no more than ten or eleven (NOTE: I shouldn't talk smack about dumbasses because I totally just typed "ten or 11") -- but even then I knew that this was STUPID. I wish I had a picture to share but that was in the olden days before my dad (or really anyone else for that matter) had a digital camera to capture the magic, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Double Bonus: The bakery lady thought the Marine Corps emblem was a team logo or something. This is more forgivable though because I think the only reason I know what the Marine Corps emblem looks like is because A) I was the only five-year-old on the block who knew the lyrics to the Marine Corps Hymn and B) my dad DID have it tattooed on his tooth and all. For reals.

But FYI:

2 comments:

Esbee said...

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli...

I never thought it was normal NOT to know this.

Esbee said...

I guess I can't edit comments. I was going to also say that around here you will see a lot of military things as we have Camp Lejune Marine Corps base, Cherry Point (a Marine Corps air station) and Fort Bragg, home of the Army's 82nd Airborne. Even damned liberals like me are proud of our service men and women in NC.